Santa Maria di Nazareth
A masterpiece of Venetian Baroque, the church and convent of the Discalced Carmelites of Venice were built in the first half of the 17th century. The church was designed by Baldassare Longhena, according to the architectural style of the Counter-Reformation, while the high altar was built by Giuseppe Pozzo, who also designed the sumptuous chapel of the Manin family. The other side chapels – built on the initiative of the families Giovannelli, Ruzini, Snaaca, Mora, and Venier – testify to the great importance of private clients in setting up the church. The ceiling, frescoed by Giambattista Tiepolo in 1743, was greatly damaged by a bombing in 1915 and replaced by a painting by Ettore Tito.
The façade, commissioned by Gerolamo